Sunday, October 20, 2013

Hoppy is as hoppy does

I like hoppy beers. As in, I really like hoppy beers. I kind of love them. Fine fine, I'm totally in love with hoppy beers. Hoppy hoppy hoppiness.

As one former roommate poignantly said, "I just want a beer that will punch me in the face."

I want to be clear: neither my old roommate or myself condone any kind of punching, in the face or otherwise. But maybe you get what I mean - that BAM, that's a bold beer feeling/taste/sensation, how that delightfully dry and bitter taste hops (ha!) around your mouth, when your shoulders involuntarily do a little dance because damn, that was a great, great hoppy beer. Oh wait, that's only me? Errr...


I could blame my dad. He loves big beers full of hops. Whenever I'm back home, he descends into the basement and emerges with an array of hoppy beers he's been saving for my (usually) once-a-year visit. It must be in our DNA (or something): inordinately tiny calves, flat feet, and hoppy beer appreciation.

Maybe it's because I became a beer drinker in a place surrounded by phenomenal beer. Crazy pub deals on and pony kegs of Otter Creek brews during college made me think all 'craft' beers would be that good. Oops, silly me.

Well, whatever the reason, I love hoppy beers. And I like trying them, typically through a very unoriginal (but immensely effective) request of "What's your hoppiest beer on tap?" whenever I'm out and about. It also helps that I live in the Pacific Northwest, home of (some of) the most hoptastic beers ever.

Anyway, I hate having sampled something delectable only to forget it later. And I'm much better with typing than writing anything down. So ta da, a blog about hoppy beers, their pursuit, and which ones I love, like, or loathe.

Here goes nothing. If anyone ever reads this - well, maybe you'll enjoy it. If not, meh - I'll have a highly excellent anthology of my favorite beers that I can't easily lose in my apartment.

Cheers,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment