Sunday, January 5, 2014

Unlike fruitcake, this is a beer that will not be regifted.

It's 2014. It's 2014?!?!?!

How did it become 2014 already? As in, almost 30 years ago, I was born. As in I was a little blob of skin and organs who didn't know anything. As in I didn't know my right hand from the left, whether I'd become the President or a plumber (I figure my current position is somewhere smack in the middle - maybe), what the wonderment of the Polar Bear Plunge could be (see right), whether I'd be married at 30 (ha), and if I liked beer, let alone hoppy beer.

Almost 30 years later (I'm going to emphasize almost here), it turns out that I usually can tell my right from left, I probably won't be the President or a plumber (again, I'm thinking my current job is a slightly better fit for my skill set), I loved the Polar Bear Plunge (again, see the photo), it's highly unlikely that I'll be married at 30 (and I'm very much ok with that), and I really like beer, especially (if not almost exclusively) hoppy beer. Hurrah!

So what's in store for 2014? Well, some pretty cool work projects are on the docket, which is always exciting and fun. I plan to do the Seattle to Portland (STP) Bicycle Classic, which yep, means I'll be bicycling from Seattle to Portland (totally classic, right?). I'm doing CityLeague ski racing again this year, and I hope I get in a lot of big snow days. And oh yes, my brother is getting MARRIED! AHH!

Amidst all this wonderment, I also plan to enjoy an assortment of hoppy beers, ideally with an assortment of hoptastic people. And on this fifth day of 2014, I'm happy to report that I've enjoyed the following hoptiful brews (in no particular order):

(1) Workhorse IPA, Laurelwood Public House & Brewery
(7.5% ABV, 80 IBUs, more stats here)
Guys, this one is good. It's got all the hops you'd want without being overwhelming, probably thanks to a nice strong citrus-y finish. It's not low on the alcohol content, but it tastes like a less intensive IPA - again, maybe it's the citrus joy that helps offset the decently high ABV. I'd be willing to say that the Workhorse would be quite splendid in the summer, but maybe that's because of the chilled pint glass I'm enjoying it in right now (thanks D for suggestion! Those Mainers know it all).

(2) Winter IPA, pFriem Family Brewers
(7.5% ABV, 65 IBUs, more stats here)
Ok, Ryan at The Sixgill strikes gold again. Thanks to the "Hoppy Winter Ale Progression" I enjoyed with J last Sunday, I got to discover pFriem's phenomenal brew (by the way, the p is not silent, as I learned). I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of winter ales - they just tend to be too heavy, too sweet, too un-hoppy. But "hop-forward winter seasonals" - and a Seahawks win? YES PLEASE! So of the three in this progression, I liked pFriem's brew far more than the others. J said "this is what I'd expect if I ordered an IPA." From my notes: "so tasty, very smooth, and then there's an explosion of wonderment as an aftertaste. Light citrus, something kind of woodsy - and oh, the Seahawks score. This beer is just about as amazing as the Seahawks mowing down the Rams at the end of the 1st quarter." So there you have it. Yay, yay, and to p-FREEAM!

Actually, I want to share Ryan's phenomenal write-up for this equally phenomenal beer: "Cozy up to the fire with a pint of pFriem's Winter Ale and gift your tastebuds with hints of spice, orange zest, caramel, and a touch of spruce tree. You may even sense the subtle notes of fruitcake, which might encourage you to share this winter ale with your family and friends. Rich bold flavors of hops and malt meld with a touch of orange zest and huckleberries. The finish leaves the mouth covered with a trace of caramel cut by an assertive hoppiness. Unlike fruitcake, this is a beer that will not be regifted." (clearly, Ryan knows much more about beer than I do - and is far wittier than I am).

(3) Merry Taj Winter IPA, The Lost Abbey
(8% ABV, IBUs unknown, more stats here)
Ok, this isn't a bad beer. Actually, it's not even close. But I must admit, after having the Merry Taj after pFriem's Winter IPA, I was hoping for something more. Something a little bit more boom boom pow HOPS than a jazzy smooth hey, there, here's a bit of hops, but here's some jazzzz. Here are my notes from last Sunday: "Hoppy but balanced. Definitely more  [than the pFriem] but not what makes you think of a winter ale. Not as hoppy as the previous one, but very flavorful and balanced. Nice slow finish, but not a kapow hop punch. Well crafted, but less flavorful as you drink it." It was still better than the Bifrost ("drinkable but not super flavorful"), and when A and I took to Ballard on Friday and visited The Sixgill's older brother (The Noble Fir), the Merry Taj really wasn't too bad. It just simply wasn't mind-blowingly good.

Other recent fun:
- A growler of Fremont's The Sister Imperial IPA!!!!!! Seriously guys, this is one of the best. Seriously. Get it while you can - and/or propose a special occasion for which we can pop open my growler.

- After going to WildLights with M, St, and Sa last night, St kindly offered me a bottle of Reuben's Brews Imperial Rye IPA. And why did St have this delightfully hoppy but balanced IPA? Because M's dad didn't want it during his visit! Mr. H, if you're reading this (which you might be and yes, I would love you to be a guest poster): next time you're here, you need to try this beer. Yes, it's got a high ABV, and for most beers and breweries, that would mean this brew would border on brandywine material. But Reuben's got it going on, and he knows how to balance an insanely hoppy (and high ABV) beer with...something. Yes, whatever something is, it's good and you can't leave Seattle again without trying it. Or at least, that's my whole-hearted recommendation. 

Cheers!
N

No comments:

Post a Comment